Tongkat Ali, scientifically known as Eurycoma longifolia, is a flowering plant native to Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. This small tree, reaching a height of about 10 meters, is highly valued for its medicinal properties and has been used for centuries in traditional herbal remedies.
The plant features long, slender leaves and produces small, yellow flowers that eventually transform into green, round fruits. However, it is the root of the Tongkat Ali
plant that holds the most significance. The roots are harvested, dried, and ground into a fine powder, which is then used for various purposes.
Tongkat Ali is known by several names, including Malaysian Ginseng and Longjack. It is commonly sought after due to its potential health benefits, which have gained popularity worldwide. However, it is important to note that Tongkat Ali should be used responsibly and under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
The plant’s traditional uses are deeply rooted in Southeast Asian cultures, where it has been utilized to address various ailments. The active compounds found within Tongkat Ali, such as quassinoids and alkaloids, are believed to contribute to its potential therapeutic effects. These compounds are thought to have positive impacts on various bodily functions, leading to its reputation as a natural health supplement.
Tongkat Ali has garnered attention for its potential to support overall well-being, including energy levels, mood, and libido. Additionally, it is believed to have antioxidant properties that may help protect against oxidative stress. However, it is crucial to understand that further research is needed to validate these claims and fully understand the effects and potential side effects of Tongkat Ali.
In conclusion, Tongkat Ali is a natural plant native to Southeast Asia that has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. Its roots are harvested and processed into a powder, which is believed to offer potential health benefits. However, it is essential to exercise caution and consult with a healthcare professional before using Tongkat Ali or any herbal supplement.
Dr. Andrew Huberman recommends increasing luteinizing hormone and free testosterone¹ and reducing sex hormone binding globulin to potentially increase libido and free testosterone².
Can Tongkat Ali Supplements Help with Collagen Production and Skin Health?
Many individuals wonder about the collagen supplement results timeline and how long it takes for supplements like Tongkat Ali to improve skin health. While timelines can vary, Tongkat Ali supplements may support collagen production, ultimately promoting healthier skin over time. Regular usage is key to seeing potential benefits.
• Enhanced sexual performance: Tongkat Ali is known for its aphrodisiac properties, as it helps increase testosterone levels, which can improve libido and sexual performance.
• Increased muscle mass: Tongkat Ali has been shown to stimulate the production of testosterone, which plays a vital role in muscle growth and strength. This can be particularly beneficial for athletes and bodybuilders.
• Improved mood and well-being: Tongkat Ali has been reported to have mood-enhancing effects, helping to reduce stress and anxiety levels. It may also have adaptogenic properties, meaning it can help the body adapt to stressors and maintain overall well-being.
• Boosted energy levels: By increasing testosterone levels and improving overall hormonal balance, Tongkat Ali can help combat fatigue and increase energy levels, making it particularly beneficial for individuals with low energy or chronic fatigue.
• Enhanced cognitive function: Some studies suggest that Tongkat Ali may have cognitive-enhancing effects, improving memory, focus, and overall brain function. It may also help protect against age-related cognitive decline.
• Increased fertility and sperm quality: Tongkat Ali has been traditionally used as a natural remedy for infertility, as it can improve sperm quality, motility, and count. It may also support male reproductive health by improving semen volume and reducing oxidative stress.
• Improved cardiovascular health: Tongkat Ali has been found to have potential cardioprotective effects, helping to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It may also improve blood circulation and reduce inflammation.
• Enhanced immune function: Tongkat Ali contains compounds that have been shown to have immune-boosting properties, helping to strengthen the body’s defense mechanisms and protect against infections and diseases.
• Anti-aging effects: Tongkat Ali is believed to have anti-aging properties, as it can support hormonal balance, reduce oxidative stress, and promote overall vitality. It may also help improve skin health and reduce the appearance of aging signs.
• Potential anti-cancer properties: Some studies suggest that Tongkat Ali may have anti-cancer effects, as it can inhibit the growth of cancer cells and promote apoptosis (cell death) in certain types of cancer. However, further research is needed to fully understand its potential in cancer treatment.
• Consult with a healthcare professional before taking Tongkat Ali, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking other medications.
• Tongkat Ali may interact with certain medications, such as those for diabetes, high blood pressure, or blood thinners, so it is important to seek medical advice to ensure there are no potential adverse effects.
• Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid taking Tongkat Ali as there is limited research on its safety in these populations.
• Tongkat Ali may affect hormone levels, so individuals with hormone-sensitive conditions, such as breast or prostate cancer, should avoid its use.
• People with liver or kidney disease should exercise caution when taking Tongkat Ali, as it may affect these organs.
• Tongkat Ali may cause insomnia or restlessness in some individuals, so it is advisable to take it earlier in the day.
• It is recommended to start with a lower dosage and gradually increase it if necessary to assess tolerance and minimize potential side effects.
• Tongkat Ali may increase testosterone levels, so individuals with conditions affected by testosterone levels, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), should consult their healthcare provider before using it.
• Adhere to the recommended dosage guidelines and avoid excessive or prolonged use of Tongkat Ali, as it may lead to adverse effects.
• Tongkat Ali may cause gastrointestinal discomfort, such as stomach upset or diarrhea, in some individuals. If these symptoms persist, it is advisable to discontinue use and consult a healthcare professional.
1. Healthy Hair Science | Huberman
2. Rational Supplementation for Health & Performance